School of Food's Beginners' Cookery Course is a fun, intensive, hands-on introduction to cooking. We combine learning essential kitchen skills - such as stock-making, pastry-making and knife skills - with nurturing your natural culinary instincts for ingredients and flavour combinations, all the while developing a broad repertoire of dishes.
The Course is underpinned by our belief that the best cooking is the result of understanding ingredients - which ones to buy, what to decide to cook with them all the way to the best way to cook and serve them. Although we provide recipes for every dish we cook our focus is on helping you understand what makes the dish or meal taste good rather than just teaching you to follow recipes.
The private course consists of 5 lessons of 3.5 hours, taught in your own home kitchen by a professional School of Food tutor.
Understand the basis of good cookery
- To purchase the best produce and to cook seasonally
- To cook to a budget and to use leftovers efficiently
- The fundamentals of healthy nutrition and food safety
- What essential cooking equipment you need
Develop essential cooking skills
- Using a knife safely and effectively
- Making delicious soups and stocks from scratch
- Roasting meat, other meat cookery techniques, carving
- Cleaning, preparation and perfect cooking of whole fish
- Making pastry and tarts
- Cooking impeccable risotto, rice and pasta
- Straightforward, delicious puddings
- Braising and stewing
The course can be scheduled on 5 consecutive days, over 5 weeks or however works with your schedule. Please contact us to discuss scheduling.