School of Food's Course in Family Cookery is based on the same philosophy as our other cookery courses - the key to good cookery is understanding ingredients, what to choose to cook and how to do an excellent job of cooking it - but is centred around cooking family food.
We concentrate on improving your culinary instincts whilst broadening your repertoire of quick, family-friendly dishes. Cooking for the whole family shouldn't mean food is bland, uninteresting or unhealthy - and you shouldn't need to spend hours in the kitchen!
The course is both intensive and fun; it consists of 5 sessions each lasting 2 to 2.5 hours and is taught in your home kitchen by a professional School of Food tutor. Your tutor brings all the ingredients and there's normally no need to arrange childcare - we are totally used to teaching with children around.
You learn to:
- Feed your family healthy, delicious food
- Minimise your time in the kitchen and maximise great flavours
- Cook with the seasons and make the most of local produce
- Enjoy your cookery (and not find feeding the family a chore)
Topics we cover:
- Plenty of everyday, economical child-friendly food
- Food children will eat that you want to eat too
- Cooking to fill the freezer
- Techniques to save time without cutting back on flavour
- Tricks to persuading children to eat what you cook
- Introducing your children to "helping" in the kitchen
- Continuing improving your cookery after the course
We draw the dishes we cook from a large pool of family-friendly recipes. Prior to the course we discuss these with you, identify dishes that will best fit your family's age and tastes - as well as your aims - and plan the format for each session accordingly. There's no point in being taught dishes or techniques you already know so we go to pains to be flexible and arrange the best possible selection for you.
The course can be scheduled on 5 consecutive days, over 5 weeks or however works with your schedule. Please contact us to discuss scheduling.