The Gap Year Cookery Course is based around the same philosophy as our Beginners Cookery Course - that the key to good cookery is understanding ingredients, what to choose to cook and how to do an excellent job of cooking it - but is adapted to suit the needs of young people living away from home for the first time.
We concentrate on developing a real understanding of food and how to combine ingredients, all based around foods that can be cooked in the typical kitchens in halls of residence and student flats and which don't require a long list of expensive ingredients. Participants learn essential culinary techniques and a good repertoire of delicious dishes.
The course is both intensive and fun; it consists of 5 sessions each lasting 3.5 hours and is taught in your home kitchen, anywhere in our London coverage area, by a professional School of Food tutor.
On this course we teach you to:
- Feed yourself healthy, delicious food on a student budget
- Cook fabulous food in a minimally-equipped kitchen
- Cook with the seasons and make the most of local produce
- Cook and throw a great dinner party
- Wash up properly and maintain good food hygiene
Topics we cover:
- Plenty of everyday, economical food
- Simple dinner party dazzlers
- Cooking a proper Sunday roast
- Budgeting and planning
- Making the most of cheap cuts of meat
- Plenty of techniques for cooking meats and fish
- Making fruit and vegetables interesting
The course can be scheduled on 5 consecutive days, over 5 weeks or however works with your schedule. Please contact us to discuss scheduling.